Mayor’s Awards Honour Champions of Accessibility
Residents and organizations that support accessibility for Edmontonians of all abilities were celebrated at the 19th annual Mayor’s Awards. Councillor Andrew Knack recognized 17 nominees and presented awards to five recipients for their commitment to enhancing the lives of people living with disabilities in Edmonton.
“I am inspired by the passion and energy each nominee brings to their projects and initiatives. They truly embody the spirit that an accessible Edmonton is a better Edmonton, allowing all citizens to fully contribute themselves — without barriers — in bringing our City to life,” says Councillor Knack. “There may have been five official winners here tonight, but the contribution every nominee has made ensures that all Edmontonians have a better city to live in.”
The 2015 Mayor’s Awards winners are:
- Outstanding Service – Northwest Scuba Ventures Limited
- Universal Design in Architecture (Residential) – Celebration Homes and the Kleine Family
- Universal Design in Architecture (Facility or Dwelling) – Ambrose Place by NiGiNan Housing Ventures and Architect, Ron Wickman
- Employers – Mammoet Canada Western Limited
- Ewen Nelson Award for Self-Advocacy – Dr. Louise Miller
The Mayor’s Awards ceremony is presented by the Accessibility Advisory Committee (formerly the Advisory Board on Services for Persons with Disabilities) to citizens who are working to remove barriers to make Edmonton an inclusive city.
The City of Edmonton would like to thank media sponsor Shaw TV for its annual support of this event, including the production of nominee vignettes for the ceremony.