New faces to be added to Edmonton’s Hall of Fame
The City of Edmonton, together with the Salute to Excellence Council and its committees, is pleased to announce the 2015 inductees to Edmonton’s Hall of Fame.
Induction into the Hall of Fame is Edmonton’s highest civic honour. Since 1951, the Hall of Fame has recognized the lifetime achievements of individuals and groups whose contributions to arts and culture, community service and sports has brought distinction to the City, and has significantly enhanced the quality of life enjoyed by Edmontonians.
This year’s inductees are:
Arts & Culture
- Jalal Barzanji – community worker, poet, essayist and champion of freedom of speech
- Heather C. Bedford-Clooney – voice teacher, choral conductor and music administrator
- Catherine Crowston – Executive Director and Chief Curator, Art Gallery of Alberta
- Todd Janes – writer, performer, community activist and Executive Director, Latitude 53
- Marjorie Bencz, CM – food security advocate and Executive Director, Edmonton Food Bank
- David Majeski – volunteer, event organizer, board member and overall community leader
- Sandra B. Woitas, B.Ed, M.Ed, LDD (Hon) – administrator and advocate for child and youth education and development, especially inner city children
- Howie Draper, BPE, MA – university women’s hockey coach, volunteer and mentor
- Dianne Greenough – teacher, cheer coach and youth motivator
- Billy Moores – hockey player, coach, administrator and educator
- The University Ringette Team Coaches: Robert J. Bailey, Paul Hotke, Bonnie L. Peters, John P. Romyn – sports builders, supporters and leaders
The 2015 induction ceremony will take place on Monday, June 15, 2015, at the Francis Winspear Centre for Music. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the ceremony begins at 7:30 p.m., followed by a public reception. Members of the public are invited to attend and help celebrate the achievements of this year’s inductees.
The Hall of Fame is part of the City’s Salute to Excellence program, a program which celebrates citizens who have contributed to the unique and diverse fabric of the community. In addition to Hall of Fame inductions, Salute to Excellence also recognizes the achievements of Edmontonians through its performance and citation awards, presented each year in the fall.