Edmonton Hosts the 2015 FIBA Americas Championship for Women
Home to Canada’s Senior Women’s National Basketball Team, Edmonton is proud to welcome some of the world’s best female basketball players to the Saville Community Sports Centre. 10 teams will compete over 8 days, with the winner qualifying directly for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Tickets are on sale now!
2015 FIBA Americas Women’s Championship Facts:
- Who will participate: 10 teams from FIBA Americas zone (excluding USA)
- Host City: Edmonton, Canada
- The South American Teams: Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Chile and Ecuador
- The Caribbean Teams: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and US Virgin Islands
Senior Women’s National Basketball Team Facts:
- Edmonton is the official home of the Canadian Women’s National Team.
- The team’s training camps take place at the Saville Community Sports Centre located on the University of Alberta campus.
- Hosting the 2015 FIBA Americas Women’s Championship gives Team Canada the unique advantage of competing for an Olympic berth on home soil.
- Canada’s Senior Women’s National Team placed 5th in the world at 2014 FIBA World Cup in Turkey – best finish in 20 years.
- The last FIBA Americas for Championship for Women was in Xalapa in 2013, where the Senior Women’s National Team won silver.
- This is the second time Canada has hosted this event. The first time was in 1995 in Hamilton, Ontario, where Canada took the gold.
- Prior to the 2015 FIBA Americas Women’s Championship, the team will compete in the 2015 Pan Am games in Toronto.