Edmonton ACCC accepts evacuees’ pets

News Release

Information for evacuees with pets

Wildfire impacting Animal Care and Control’s regular services

The City of Edmonton’s Animal Care and Control Centre (ACCC) has accepted many pets belonging to evacuees and is nearing capacity. If necessary, the Centre has access to alternative accommodation sites in outlying areas for evacuated animals needing shelter.

If you are a wildfire evacuee and need shelter for your pet, you can take your pet to the Animal Care and Control Centre any day between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. (13550-163 Street).

If you are staying at the City of Edmonton Reception Centre and do not have a vehicle, an Animal Care and Control officer can transport your pet to the ACCC. The ACCC is available to assist with pets outside the centre by the Hall A entrance. Animals are not allowed inside the Reception Centre.

Officers have been steadily transferring animals from the City of Edmonton Reception Centre to the ACCC since Tuesday evening. ACCC has provided short and long-term care for close to 300 pets – mostly cats and dogs but also an assortment of guinea pigs, chinchillas, reptiles, one hedgehog, one rabbit and a bird.

Several Alberta veterinary practices have offered medical services or boarding for animals owned by evacuees. A list is available through Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) social media channels and is updated frequently at http://www.albertaanimalhealthsource.ca.

Edmonton Humane Society is accepting monetary donations online as well as pet food and supplies at their facility. The City of Edmonton Reception Centre can NOT accept donations, this includes pet food and supplies.

Due to the significant number of evacuee pets being sheltered, ACCC’s regular services have been impacted. Until further notice, the Centre cannot accept trapped/feral cats or rent cat/wildlife traps. Customers at ACCC can expect longer than usual wait times and, instead of going to the centre, are encouraged to license their pets online, by mail, or in-person at HSBC Bank Place (5th floor, 10250-101 Street).

Evacuees do not have to register at the City of Edmonton’s Reception Centre if they do not require emergency services. The City is asking that all evacuees do register with the Red Cross either online at redcross.ca or by calling 1.888.350.6070.

For more information:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s