Tourism not closing doors to back-to-back Miss U hosting
By Azer N. Parrocha
POLILLO, QUEZON (Philippines News Agency) — The Department of Tourism (DOT) on Thursday said that it will not be closing its door to the possibility of hosting a back-to-back Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines but noted that it cannot be done this year.
“The original date (the Miss Universe Organization) wanted was Nov. 26 but it’s too soon. In the same month we’re doing ASEAN (meetings),” DOT Undersecretary Kat de Castro told reporters in an interview.
Castro said that although the DOT was willing to host the pageant again, the agency was “not ready” to yet. However, she said that it was open to hosting the pageant if it will be done next year.
“We’re looking at next year. It’s regretful, but it’s not good to host the pageant when we’re not ready,” De Castro said.
“We’re not closing the doors to Miss Universe,” she added.
On June 11, the DOT met with and MUO officials to discuss the possible re-staging of the Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines next year.
She said that it was the MUO who approached the DOT first.
To recall, MUO President Paula Shugart previously described the Philippine hosting of the prestigious beauty pageant as the “best show” she has ever done.
“This is the best show I’ve ever done. I’m honored to have a panel that consists of former winners,” Shugart said in a previous press conference.
The last Miss Universe pageant in the Philippines was held at the Mall of Asia Arena last Jan. 30. (PNA)