6 Abu Sayyaf men killed in Basilan clash
ZAMBOANGA CITY (Philippines News Agency) — Government troops killed six alleged members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) in a clash Basilan province, officials said Saturday.
Brig. Gen. Juvymax Uy, Joint Task Force Basilan commander, said the clash occurred at around 8:45 a.m. Saturday at sitio Pali in Barangay Abong-Abong, Maluso, Basilan.
Uy said the troops from the Army’s 68th Infantry Battalion (IB) were on combat operation when they clashed with a group of ASG members.
Senior Insp. Faizal Tandico, Maluso police chief, said six members of the ASG were reported killed during the clash.
Uy said the troops had recovered the remains of an ASG member and a firearm at the clash site.
He said that combat helicopters have been deployed to provide close air support to the ground troops as sporadic firefight rages.
“There will be no-let up operation against the Abu Sayyaf as our Commander-in-Chief himself has declared such since last year,” Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., commander of the Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) said.
“The different Joint Task Forces are in full-throttle to get the remaining Abu Sayyaf members and to rescue their kidnap victims,” Galvez added. (PNA)