DFA assists Filipino accused of stabbing employer in Kuwait
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora
MANILA (Philippines News Agency) — A Filipino household service worker in Kuwait accused of stabbing her employer is assured of an assistance from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
“Our Embassy in Kuwait continues to look after our kababayan Ulambai Singgayan and is coordinating with authorities to ensure that her rights are protected,” DFA Undersecretary Sarah Lou Arriola said on Thursday.
The DFA also assured Singgayan’s family in the Philippines that the government will provide her with legal and other kinds of assistance.
Singgayan, a household service worker from Maguindanao, is facing felony charges and is currently under hospital arrest while being treated for injuries inflicted on her by members of her employer’s family.
According to initial information gathered by the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait, Singgayan was beaten up after she allegedly stabbed her employer, who reportedly threatened to have her visa revoked and move her to another house where she would be killed.
Chargé d’Affaires Charleson Hermosura said Singgayan had visible bruises on her face, chest, and arms. An x-ray conducted in the hospital also showed internal bleeding in her abdomen
The envoy said it was not immediately clear if Singgayan had been maltreated by her employer prior to the stabbing incident. (PNA)