Malacañang respects court’s deferment of Trillanes arrest
By Azer Parrocha
MANILA (Philippines News Agency) — Malacañang on Saturday said it respects the decision of a Makati court to defer its ruling on the coup d’etat charges filed against Senator Antonio Trillanes IV.
“That is court decision we respect and defer to,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a message sent to media.
Roque’s statement came after the Makati City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 148 deferred the issuance of both the alias warrant of arrest and hold departure order (HDO) against Trillanes in connection with the coup d’etat charges leveled against him.
In an order, Judge Andres Soriano of RTC Branch 148 directed Trillanes’ camp and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to submit evidence. The court has set the hearing at 9 a.m. on October 5.
Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte issued Proclamation No. 572 declaring void ab initio (from the beginning) the amnesty granted by the previous administration to Trillanes.
The proclamation states that Trillanes failed to comply with the mandatory requirements, such as the amnesty application form and admission of guilt to the crimes of rebellion that he committed, when he led the Oakwood Mutiny in 2003 and Manila Peninsula siege in 2007 against former president and now House of Representatives Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
On Sept. 25, Makati RTC Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda granted the motion filed by the DOJ in connection with the rebellion case against Trillanes and other Magdalo soldiers over the Manila Peninsula siege in 2007.
Trillanes was arrested and booked for the rebellion case but was able to post a PHP200,000 bail.
On Saturday, he was able to leave the Senate after being holed up in its premises for weeks following the revocation of his amnesty. (PNA)