Slain Filipina laid to rest in Sweden: DFA
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora
MANILA (Philippines News Agency) — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Tuesday night reported that the remains of slain Filipina Mailyn Conde Sinambong will no longer be repatriated to the Philippines.
“The DFA has just been informed that Mailyn Conde Sinambong was finally laid to rest in Stockholm a few minutes ago,” Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato told reporters in an update.
“She was buried at the Norra Begravningsplatsen cemetery in the presence of her brother and cousin from the Philippines, her two children, her aunt and cousin from Norway, and her in-laws.”
Cato said Consul General Maria Elena Algabre of the Philippine Embassy in Oslo and Suzette Aluag-Callo of the DFA Office of Migrant Workers Affairs were present during the funeral rites.
“The 28-year-old Cebuana was buried in simple Catholic rites two months after she was killed,” he added. A Catholic funeral ceremony was also held for her in Stockholm on Monday.
Sinambong, mother of two aged 10 and 4, was allegedly beaten to death by her 50-year-old Swedish husband, Steve Abou Bakr Aalam, on September 23.
Meanwhile, her family’s quest for justice is ongoing. Last week, Swedish prosecutors met her brother and cousin to discuss the murder case filed against Aalam. (PNA)