No Filipino affected in violent Haiti protests: DFA
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora
MANILA (Philippines News Agency) — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Thursday night said no Filipino has so far been affected by the violent protests in Haiti that have resulted to closure of public establishments in the country.
In a bulletin sent by Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato, Ambassador to the United States Jose Manuel Romualdez said Filipinos in Haiti have been advised to stay indoors and prepare their personal security plans.
Filipinos in Haiti were also reminded to register online with the Philippine embassy in Washington, D.C. to facilitate communications and assessment of appropriate assistance.
The agency assured that the embassy is in touch with the approximately 500 Filipinos in Haiti as it closely monitors the situation in the Caribbean country.
Filipinos who may find themselves in emergency situations that would require the embassy’s assistance are encouraged to call +1-202-769-8049 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to the embassy report, the two weeks of protests calling on Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Henry Ceant and President Jovenel Moise’s resignation have forced the closure of schools, shops, public transportation, and government offices in Port-au-Prince while roads have been rendered impassable by barricades. (PNA)