No Filipino hurt in Sri Lanka bombings: DFA
By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora
MANILA (Philippines News Agency) — No Filipino was among the casualties in the string of suicide bombings in Sri Lanka that killed scores of people on Easter Sunday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported.
The DFA said Philippine Honorary Consul to Colombo, Hugh Sriyal Dissanayake, informed the agency that he is in touch with the Filipino community in the area.
“The community leaders reported that so far, there has been no report of any Filipino hurt in the explosions,” it said.
The explosions occurred at the St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, a city about 20 miles north of Colombo; the St. Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo; and Zion Church in the eastern city of Batticaloa during an Easter Sunday service.
Explosions were also initially reported at three hotels in Colombo: the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand, and the Kingsbury.
Ruwan Gunasekera, a police spokesman in the South Asian country, was cited as saying that more than 200 people were killed and 450 others injured by the large-scale suicide bombings.
The Embassy, for its part, continues to monitor the situation and assures readiness to provide any assistance Filipinos in the area may need.
On Sunday night, the DFA expressed sympathies to the Sri Lankan people and the bereaved kins of the victims.
“The Department of Foreign Affairs extends its condolences to the families of the fatalities from the multiple bombings at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka today,” the agency said. (PNA)