Cebu City way ahead of other LGUs in clearing streets
By Luel Galarpe
CEBU CITY (Philippines News Agency) – Even before President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the clearing of public roads to solve the traffic woes in the country, the Cebu City Government has started clearing the city streets after Mayor Edgardo Labella assumed office last July 1.
In an interview early this week, Cebu City Public Information Officer Razel Cuizon said the mayor emphasized in his inaugural speech that the traffic problem in the metropolis should be foremost on the City Government’s agenda.
Cuizon said the mayor has tasked the Cebu City Prevention, Restoration, Order, Beautification, and Enhancement (PROBE) Team to conduct clearing operations on streets identified as heavily congested of vehicular traffic.
Remando Madriñan of the Monitoring and Inspection Group of PROBE said they have already cleared more than 10 thoroughfares in the city since July 8.
Among the streets cleared of sidewalk vendors and illegal structures by PROBE include the 3.9-kilometer stretch of S. Osmeña st. from SM City Cebu to Plaza Independencia which Labella ordered to be prioritized.
The clearing operation on said street was conducted on the day of President Duterte’s State of the Nation Address last July 22 when he ordered local government officials to clear the roads and instructed the Department of the Interior and Local Government to suspend the mayors who fail to comply with the order.
Cuizon said the mayor also personally checked the clearing operation of around 200 structures along M.L. Quezon St. in the Carbon Public Market last week.
The DILG has already issued a memorandum circular giving mayors 45 days to clear obstructions on public roads and sidewalks, but Cuizon said Labella has not yet received the said memo.
Madriñan said he expects the mayor to order the PROBE team to intensify their clearing operations once Labella gets hold of the DILG memorandum. (PNA)