Update 53: COVID-19 pandemic in Alberta (May 5 at 5:30 p.m.)
May 05, 2020 Media inquiries
Recovered cases make up more than half of Alberta’s cases of COVID-19 at 3,219. Fifty-seven new cases have been reported, bringing the total number to 5,893. Two more Albertans have died.
- Cases have been identified in all zones across the province:
- 3,957 cases in the Calgary zone
- 1,094 cases in the South zone
- 502 cases in the Edmonton zone
- 221 cases in the North zone
- 89 cases in the Central zone
- 30 cases in zones yet to be confirmed
- Of these cases, there are currently 87 people in hospital, 20 of whom have been admitted to intensive care units (ICU).
- 728 cases are suspected of being community acquired.
- The total deaths are 106: 72 in the Calgary zone; 15 in the North zone; 12 in the Edmonton zone; six in the South zone; and one in the Central zone.
- To date, 622 cases have been confirmed at continuing care facilities, and 77 residents at these facilities have died.
- There have been 949 cases in workers from the Cargill meat processing plant in High River, with 810 recovered.
- There have been 487 cases in workers from JBS Foods Canada in Brooks, with 394 recovered.
- Thirty-six cases have been identified at Harmony Beef since March. Alberta Health Services (AHS) is working closely with the plant to limit the spread.
- Updated information on outbreak locations in Alberta is available online.
- There have been 157,137 people tested for COVID-19 and a total of 167,015 tests performed by the lab. In the last 24 hours, 2,293 tests have been completed.
- AHS has retained AgeCare to oversee the management and operation of Millrise Seniors Village in southwest Calgary. Learn more.