Provincial police force study moves ahead
PwC Canada will provide the government with an independent assessment of a possible transition to an Alberta provincial police service.
During the Fair Deal Panel’s consultations, Albertans expressed their frustrations with the RCMP. Concerns included:
- The force is overly bureaucratic
- RCMP members have a limited connection to the province
- Members are unable or unwilling to confront activists
- Heavy-handed enforcement of gun laws
In response, the panel recommended the Government of Alberta consider replacing the RCMP with a provincial police service.
The Alberta government supported the panel’s recommendation but committed to further analysis. This provincial police service transition study will allow the government to make an informed decision as to whether a dedicated provincial police service is in the best interests of Albertans. The study will also consider operational requirements, processes and potential costs for creating a provincial police service.
“Through the Fair Deal Panel, Albertans who are policed by the RCMP told their government that they want a provincial police service. Alberta’s government has an obligation to listen to those concerns and explore how a police force designed in Alberta – not Ottawa – would improve the safety and security of Albertans and their property. Alberta’s government must make an informed choice, and this report will bring us one step closer to the panel’s recommendation. After a federal throne speech that ignored nearly all the legitimate concerns of Albertans, this an important part of getting a fair deal for Alberta, while limiting Ottawa’s reach into the province.”Kaycee Madu, Minister of Justice and Solicitor General
- A request for proposal was used to hire a vendor to conduct the study. The budget for this analysis is $2 million.
- PwC Canada is expected to provide a final analysis to the government for its consideration by April 30, 2021.
- PwC Canada is part of a global network of firms that provides consulting and deals services, audit and assurance, and tax services.
- PwC Canada’s policing and justice sector works with law enforcement and justice agencies across Canada and globally.