Public Service Announcement
The following areas will experience changes to operating hours and service levels over the holiday season:
Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) As in previous years, ETS modifies service levels for the statutory holidays and the days around Christmas to reflect the lower level of ridership during this time.
Key dates or periods over the holidays that will have specific service reductions or additions include:
- From December 21-31, except for Christmas and Boxing Day, buses will be reduced on several routes during peak hours, with no school service.
- On Friday, December 25 (Christmas), buses will run on reduced Sunday service.
- On Saturday, December 26 (Boxing Day), buses will run on regular Saturday schedules, with some additional trips on route 4.
- On Thursday, December 31, ETS will run extra late night service until 3 a.m. From 6 p.m. – 3 a.m., transit will be free.
- On Friday, January 1 (New Year’s Day), buses run on regular Sunday service.
Transit riders are encouraged to double check their schedules and use real-time trip planning tools. Regular service will resume on Saturday, January 2, 2021.
Waste Collection & Natural Christmas tree disposal Due to the statutory holidays, the following changes will be made to the waste collection schedule:
- There is no waste collection on Friday, December 25 and Friday, January 1, 2021. If your waste collection falls on these dates, your waste will be collected on Monday, December 28 and Monday, January 4, 2021.
Additionally, curbside collection of natural Christmas trees starts on January 11, 2021. To have your Christmas tree collected:
- Please set your tree out for collection on January 11. Trees may be picked up as late as January 31, 2021 (weather dependent) and not necessarily on residents’ regularly scheduled collection days. If your tree has not been picked up by February 1, 2021 and was set out for collection by January 11, please call 311.
- For information, please visit edmonton.ca/christmastrees.
- Apartment and condo residents can drop off their natural Christmas tree for free at a Recycling Depot from Monday, December 28 until Saturday, January 30, 2021 or an Eco Station any time during the year.
- Christmas trees should not be placed near apartment garbage bins or blue bins.
- Find a Recycling Depot or Eco Station near you at edmonton.ca/holidaywastereduction.
Edmonton Valley ZooBetween now and January 3, 2021, the Edmonton Valley Zoo will be open for EPCOR Zoominescence during the hours of 3:30 – 9:00 p.m. Please visit edmonton.ca/zooevents for more information on hours. Tickets can be booked at movelearnplay.edmonton.ca.
Please note that the EPCOR Zoominescence evening hours will be the ONLY time the zoo is open during this time period. The zoo will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The zoo is closed after the final visits on January 3, 2021 to comply with provincial restrictions. The zoo will remain closed until at least January 12, 2021 or when the public health order is rescinded.
311 Hours 311 will continue to operate with regular hours during the holidays, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., seven days a week. They will be closed for the statutory holidays on December 25, 26 and January 1, 2021.