Update 3: Alberta wildfire situation (May 6, 6:30 p.m.)

Update 3: Alberta wildfire situation (May 6, 6:30 p.m.)

As of this afternoon, more than 24,000 individuals have been evacuated from communities throughout north and central Alberta.

Those evacuated due to wildfires are asked to register at local reception centres or at

Current situation

  • Alberta has declared a provincial state of emergency. Visit for information or call 310-4455.
  • Mandatory evacuation orders are in effect for the following areas. Please check or download the Alberta Emergency Alert mobile app for complete information:
    • Parts of Brazeau County. Evacuees should register in Edmonton at the Expo Centre, Hall C, at 7515 118 Avenue.
    • Parts of Northern Sunrise County.
    • Parts of Mackenzie County. Evacuees should register at the High Level Rural Hall. 
    • The entire Town of Rainbow Lake. Evacuees should register in High Level at the High Level Arena, at 10101 105 Avenue.
    • Fox Creek, Little Smoky and surrounding areas. Evacuees should register at the Allan and Jean Millar Centre, at 58 Sunset Boulevard in Whitecourt.
    • Parts of Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation and the Municipal District of Greenview. Evacuees should register at Memorial Hall, 4808 50 Street in Valleyview.
    • Parts of the County of Grande Prairie. Evacuees should register at the Bonnets Energy Centre, 10017 99 Avenue, Grande Prairie.
    • Parts of Big Lakes County. Evacuees should register at Elks Rodeo Hall on Highway 749.
    • Parts of Lac Ste Anne County. Evacuees should register at the Mayerthorpe Diamond Centre, at 4184 54 Street.
    • Parts of Yellowhead County, including the Town of Edson.
    • The communities of Whitefish River and Aitkameg. Evacuees should register at the Town of Slave Lake office, at 10 Main Street, Slave Lake.
    • The Hamlet of Entwistle. Evacuees should register at Wabamun Jubilee Hall, at 5132 53 Avenue in Wabamun.
    • Parkland County and the Hamlet of Entwistle. Evacuees should register at Wabamun Jubilee Hall at 5132 53 Avenue in Wabamun.
  • Residents of the following areas should be prepared to evacuate on short notice:
    • The Grovesdale area of the Municipal District of Greenview
    • The area west of Beaverdam Provincial Recreation Area and east of the Bighorn Dam, including the hamlet of Nordegg.
    • Parts of the County of Grande Prairie, including Pipestone Creek area.
    • The town of High Prairie.
    • Parts of Wetaskiwin County.
  • Sixteen declared states of local emergency and two band council resolution include:
    • Big Lakes County
    • Brazeau County
    • County of Grande Prairie
    • Clear Hills County
    • Clearwater County
    • Drayton Valley
    • Town of Edson
    • MD of Fairview
    • Town of High Prairie
    • Northern Sunrise County
    • East Prairie Metis Settlement
    • Saddle Hills County
    • Lac St. Anne County
    • Parkland County
    • Rainbow Lake
    • Yellowhead County
    • The Little Red River Cree Nation (Fox Lake) has declared a band council resolution
    • Whitefish Lake First Nation has declared a band council resolution

Information for evacuees

  • Evacuees should register at the reception centre identified for their community so staff can quickly assist them and connect them with the resources they need.
  • Evacuees with special needs who are unable to stay in an evacuation centre can request emergency financial assistance to cover hotel accommodations.
    • Special needs could include having a disability, a medical condition or other family needs.
    • Apply for emergency financial assistance by visiting an Alberta Supports Centre or calling the Income Support Contact Centre at 1-866-644-5135. Information is also available through the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.
  • Albertans affected by wildfires, including evacuees, can access supports by calling the Alberta Supports Contact Centre at 1-877-644-9992.
    • The centre is open from 8:15 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekends.
  • The Income Support Contact Centre is also available 24-7 and provides emergency financial assistance. It can be reached at 1-866-644-5135.

Fire bans and other restrictions

  • Unusually warm, dry weather and strong winds mean it is easier for a wildfire to start and spread.
  • As a result of these conditions, the entire province is under a fire ban. No open burning is allowed, including backyard fire pits inside the Forest Protection Area. Alberta Parks and many municipalities and communities have ordered their own bans and restrictions. For more information, visit
  • A provincial off-highway vehicle restriction is also in place, which means the recreational use of off-highway vehicles on public land, including on designated OHV trails, is prohibited.

Wildfire activity updates

  • There are currently 110 active wildfires in the Forest Protection Area, 37 of which are classified as out of control.
    • Information on all wildfires is on the Alberta Wildfire dashboard and the Alberta Wildfire app.


  • There are multiple road closures and advisories for north and central Alberta.
  • Visit for up-to-date information on road closures and travel advisories.


  • Alberta Health Services is supporting the evacuation of the Drayton Valley Hospital.
    • Patients will be moved to Rocky Mountain House and Edmonton hospitals.
  • Edson Healthcare Centre has been fully evacuated with patients/continuing care residents and families being notified of new location of all patients and continuing care residents.
  • Evacuation of the Fox Creek Health Centre is currently underway.
    • AHS continues to work in providing care in the community to transport residents to other facilities in Alberta and Edmonton.
  • EMS and zones continues to be fully engaged to ensure safe transport and care of all patients/residents. Other zones and provincial programs are assisting with reception centres, and ensuring availability of spaces/equipment as needed.
  • Alberta Health Services is deploying mobile air quality monitoring, as multiple communities are reporting high levels of smoke and ash residue.
  • Residents affected by the wildfires who have health care-related questions and are looking for up-to-date information about the wildfires or health care resources, should visit the Alberta Health Services Wildfire Resources webpage.
  • For non-emergency health advice, including information on their health care options, residents should call Health Link at 811.


  • Due to the wildfire evacuation of Evansburg, Evansburg court sittings on Monday, May 8 have been relocated to Stony Plain.
  • The Drayton Valley circuit court is within the Town of Drayton Valley’s evacuation order. The next sitting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 16.

Agriculture and livestock

  • Agricultural societies may have room for livestock evacuated from wildfire areas: Alberta Association of Agricultural Societies.
  • Evacuated farmers and ranchers:
    • can contact the wildfire resource line at 310-4455 with agriculture and livestock related questions.
    • should register at the reception centre identified for their community so staff can quickly assist them and connect them with the resources they need.
    • may need re-entry permits if they want to go back into an evacuated area to check on livestock, and should check with their municipality before entering.

Alberta Emergency Alerts

  • For up-to-the-minute Alberta Emergency Alert information, visit Alberta Emergency Alert.
  • Albertans are encouraged to download the Alberta Emergency Alert mobile app, which immediately pushes all alerts out to subscribers.

Related information



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.