FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015™
Thank you for your support Edmonton!
Opening Match on June 6, 2015 at Commonwealth Stadium
Congratulations to the champions USA, and all the teams who participated in the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015TM!
Thanks to everyone who made this amazing event possible! Here are just a few of the big benefits for the City from hosting this event:
- For the opening match on June 6, Edmonton set an attendance record for 53,058 for a Canadian national team home game. Unfortunately, this record was broken twice during the tournament.
- Edmonton hosted 11 matches on 8 nights, the most of any host city in the country.
- Attendance at the 8 match nights in Edmonton was more than 200,000!
- Projected impact to the visitor economy in Edmonton is $48.5 million for the month long tournament.
Edmonton was a star on the international stage:
- The overall ticket sales for the tournament were more than 1.35 million, smashing the previous tournament record.
- Impressive television viewing figures in Canada and internationally continued to set and break records throughout the tournament.
- Canadian broadcasters CTV and RDS reported an average audience of 3.2 million for Canada’s quarter final match against England, a record for any FIFA Women’s World Cup match on Canadian television.
- On FIFA’s Digital platforms, the audience from 6-28 June has exceeded 59 million.