By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora
MANILA – The Philippine Embassy in China reported that Filipinos in Sichuan are safe after a killer 6.8-magnitude earthquake jolted the area this week.
Citing records of the Philippine Embassy in Beijing, Chargé d’Affaires Dinno Oblena said Wednesday no Filipino resides in Ganzi, Ya’an City, the earthquake’s epicenter.
“As of today, the DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs) reports that there have been no Filipino casualties following the 6.8-magnitude earthquake that hit Sichuan Province on September 5,” Oblena said.
The embassy continues to monitor developments in Sichuan and is in contact with the Filipino community there to check if there are affected nationals.
The government stands ready to assist any distressed Filipino, he added.
Based on the latest data from the DFA, there are at least 167 Filipinos residing across Sichuan.
As of Sept. 6, authorities recorded 38 people have died in Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture and 28 in Ya’an City following the tremor. Fifteen people, meanwhile, were missing and over 250 had been injured. (PNA)